Friday, August 8, 2008

SUPERHEROS???















America has a strong desire for a pimped-out martyr. Minimalist saviors going on hunger strikes challenging oppression is no longer enough. WE WANT OUR MESSIAHS TO BE LARGER THAN LIFE!!

Looked at from a certain angle our awe for superheroes is hysterical.

Take a minute to think about this!!
There is an AIDS epidemic, natural disasters are destroying communities, and increasing numbers of Blacks and Latinos are in jail and the best Bruce Wayne can do is put on a rubber suit and chase after the mentally disabled? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!

I love Batman and I think Heath Ledger deserves a posthumous Oscar but I want to see Batman (Ironman, Superman, put in the hero of your choice) flex some intellectual muscles. Here a few ideas for the next Batman film:

  • Batman vs. Unemployment
  • Batman: Head of the Secret Service for the 1st Black President
  • 1492: Batman vs. Christopher Columbus and the Destruction of the Indies

I want to see Batman drive into a gas station and say "What!? $4.00!?"


In terms of what I see in the films, Bruce Wayne's approach to solving social ills is adolescent. I know some people will read this and say I'm being too critical. IT IS WHAT IT IS!!

Posted by Vladimir Caamano

No comments: